Happy first day of Advent! Christmas is my favorite time of year and I wish my house could stay decorated all year, but the month-ish that decorations are up (from the day after Thanksgiving until whenever we decide that it’s time for the red & green, angels and trees to come down), is my happy place.
Growing up we had the most precious Mickey Mouse Velcro Advent calendar. I remember speed walking into the kitchen every morning to add the day’s ornament to the tree. The speed walking was because my brother and I always raced to put the faux-velvet charms on the scene, counting down the days until the most special celebration!
Some Advent calendars are filled with candy, some with random acts of kindness, some with bucket list items, some with verses of the Christmas story, some with elaborate toys, and some are just numbered objects. This year, I decided to make my own Advent calendar (directions coming soon) and it is a mix of all of those.
Each day has a different tag with a little Christmas knick-knack to go along with it. I have listed the tags out if you would like to join my countdown to sweet Jesus’ birthday!
- Buy someone else’s Starbucks
- Watch an ABC Family Christmas movie
- Watch Elf
- Decorate a mini tree for your desk
- Watch The Santa Clause 1 & 2 (with Tim Allen)
- Decorate a gingerbread house
- Wear fun Christmas socks to work or school
- Make a fun Christmas craft
- Look at Christmas lights
- Bake Christmas cookies
- Have a gift exchange (or my favorite- ornament exchange) with your friends
- Drink hot chocolate by the fireplace
- Wear a tacky Christmas sweater
- Hang an ornament that represents a memory from this year
- Write cards to family that you won’t see this season
- Go to a Christmas tree farm
- Hang a Christmas garland
- Make a list of 15 things you are thankful for
- Write a story about your favorite Christmas memory (share with me!)
- Have breakfast for dinner
- Make homemade marshmallows to go with your hot chocolate
- Play board games by the fire
- Take Christmas pictures
- Go ice-skating or build a snowman
What fills your Advent calendar? We want to know! Comment below or tag/mention us on Instagram (@anniepoppinsshop) and use the hashtag #apschristmas.